Harcourt Parish was founded by Bishop Philander Chase who led the first worship service in the Gambier area in early June of 1827. This effort coincided with the Bishop's efforts to build an Episcopal college and seminary in Ohio - Kenyon College.
The leaders of Kenyon College were inspired to build The Church of the Holy Spirit after the Civil War. The cornerstone was laid in June 1869 and the chapel was completed and consecrated on May 18th, 1871.
Today, The Church of the Holy Spirit is maintained as a historical building by Kenyon College, which honors its ties with the Episcopal Church. It is used by Harcourt Parish as well as the Kenyon Catholic Community for worship and for numerous weddings and special events.
To find out more about our historic congregation and chapel please click on the links below:
Harcourt Parish: http://www.kenyonhistory.net/kcpedia/Harcourt_Parish
Church of the Holy Spirit: ttp://www.kenyonhistory.net/kcpedia/Church_of_the_Holy_Spirit